Sunday, January 27, 2008

Dulce de Leche

As I mentioned in my previous post, I am a big fan of dairy products. One of the easiest treats to make that I know about is called Dulce de Leche, or "Sweet of Milk" in Spanish, although is normally translated as "Milk Candy".

There are ways to make this from scratch, but the easiest is to take a can or two of condensed milk, remove the label, and sit it unopened in a sauce pan just barely covered in slowly simmering water. Leave it there for about two hours or so, replacing any water that evaporates. The longer you leave the cans, the more the milk inside will carmelize, creating a sweet, thick sauce similar to butterscotch.

This is one of my favorite toppings for ice cream or cakes, and it takes just one simple ingredient! Just remember to let the cans coll down before opening!

No comments: